Monday, February 28, 2011

My First Step

This past weekend went by quickly, but I accomplished a lot. Because of the events that are transpiring in my life, I have started an attempt to become uber-organized. Not only is spring (aaaaaaaaalmost) upon us, I am at a huge turning point in my life. It has become necessary for me to go through all my “things” and purge those items that just hinder my life and do not enhance it. What do I need a closet full of clothes 3-4 sizes too big for me anyway? I had/have a severe emotional attachment to a lot of “things.” It has become on of the largest hurdles that I need(ed) to overcome. I am proud of myself and have purged a very good portion of belongings that have just been collecting dust in closets/drawers/etc.



Everything started out overwhelming. Just the thought of having to go through all that stuff and knowing that there was a good chance that I would be unable to just “get rid” of it all made it extremely difficult to even start. I have to admit my first reaction was to head to the self-help articles online. I searched everything I could think of that would help me get out of this mess, literally. I was spent. I didn’t know how I was going to do it, but it had to be done. I figured I’d just wing it and it’d happen on it's own. Not a very smart move. That never worked in the past. 

Sometimes inspiration hits at the most bizzare moments. I was walking through OfficeMax while my boyfriend and his mother talked to a sales associate about a laptop that was on sale. (Which, BTW, was an amazing deal for a laptop!) I enjoy paper and organization and color coding- okay, you get the idea. I thought that I’d just walk around and mingle with the office supplies. Then I saw a huge display for really nice looking organizational tools. I was impressed. Yet, the one thing that caught my eye was a lone paperback. It sat on the shelf, all by itself. It wasn’t displayed nicely or anything. It was a book called “It’s All Too Much.”



Okay, book, you got me. I want to know what you’re all about. The price was too much and my time was up at the store. I quickly wrote down the title and checked the library catalog when I got home. There it was! Right there at the library near the house! How lucky! My boyfriend did me a solid and snatched that baby up.

I can’t tell you how much more sense this book makes than others. I don’t know if it is just my way of thinking or because of my attachment to the items. I need only read the first few pages. An example of a small family, who was successful and young, yet had real issues with letting go of “things.” This hit home for me. I have yet to finish the rest of the book, but with the small amount that I have been able to get through I have cleaned out a large portion of my life. If you’re looking to clean out your life and make your stuff work for you instead of against- I highly recommend this book.

My Mission- Organize, Simplify, Enhance My Life.


No comments:

Post a Comment