Thursday, February 17, 2011

TVP


The way that my beau was raised is a lot different than I was. The largest discrepancy is the way that we ate as children. My family often ate as much food for as cheap as possible. I grew up in a family of six and we often had tempting items as spaghetti, chicken or tuna casserole repetitively. Nutrition was a concern, but only after money. It’s hard to feed a family of six on one income!

My beau’s family was often very concerned with nutrition and how to get the most out of your food. I find this extremely intriguing and have become fascinated with TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein). TVP is a large part of his parent’s diet. They add it to virtually everything. I found some for about $1.75/lb (after reconstituting it) so I am willing to try it as a healthier alternative to ground meats. I have yet to actually purchase it. As soon as I do, I will let you know how it goes and if it truly is a cost effective way to create healthier, more nutrient dense meals without breaking the bank or sacrificing flavor.

For more information on TVP visit : All About Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)

No comments:

Post a Comment