Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Fashion on a Budget

Most women love clothes and fashion. Being up to the moment in trends and at the height of fabulous. I am the same way, but much has changed in my approach to a great wardrobe. Since I have shifted in weight enough to warrant getting rid of most of my entire closet FILLED with clothes, it has become apparent that I was spending just too much money on clothes and fashion accessories. These days, I take a new approach when I am in need of an item.

First and foremost is Resale. I make my trip to Goodwill. That's right, Goodwill. Often, if I am not looking for something particular, Goodwill has what I am looking for priced under $5. The location closest to where I reside happens to have a large selection in my size. I have discovered an Ambercrombie lined corduroy jacket ($4), a pink Banana Republic trench coat ($2.50), lined pinstripe Banana Republic dress pants ($3), a Columbia coat ($10), GAP corduroy pea coat ($5), several name brand tops for my guy (including workout shirts!). I feel excitement knowing that there is quality there. If you have the time to look through the racks and aren’t too picky on what you need- say a sun dress, instead of a yellow vintage floral silk dress- you will come away pleasantly surprised.

If, after all my efforts, I do not find something that will work, I result to discount and sale purchases. Boston Store often has “Yellow Dot” clearance racks that are up to 80% off the original price. I have purchased Calvin Klein dresses for less than $10, new. Also, discount retailers such as TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Burlington Coat Factory. I recently purchased a new pair of running shoes that are still in retail stores and online selling for $110 for only $40!

Try outlet malls. There are 2 nearby that I like to shop. It is unbelievable the deals that you can find. I bought 2 pairs of dress pants and a pencil skirt for less that $15 at the New York and Co. outlet store. It’s great for me, because they carry a wide array of pants that come in “long” length. One other store that I never pass up is the White House|Black Market outlet. They have tops for $5.99 and pants for $9.99. They carry great basics and often you can find a deal on some classic-with-a-twist items.

A lot of stores offer rewards programs. Several don’t require you to have the store credit card, but some do. It is worthwhile to join these “clubs” as long as it costs you nothing. They often send out special deals and coupons to members only. Plus, they give you advance notice on upcoming sales and events.



Let's say you're looking for something VERY specific and will not compromise. Try sites like ideeli, RueLaLa and NoMoreRack. They have sales that last a day or 2 and the prices are very nice. Most of the items are name brand designer and they are at a deep discount. You pay a fraction of the cost. They are all free to join and offer perks (aka FREE $$ to spend) if you invite friends and they purchase from the site as well.

I'm not too picky but I certainly have a style I like to stick with. Some of the best deals I have found have been from friends and family who have outgrown their wardrobe. The price is usually little to nothing and the quality is amazing. You know the person and know the items have been well taken care of. My favorite pick up is a vintage canvas trench coat from my beau's stepfather's mother. Would that be his "stepgrandma"? She was a true fashionista in her day and had plenty of classic pieces that I got the pleasure of sifting through for FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment