Wednesday, February 9, 2011

February Grocery Shop

I didn’t post on this right away because of my lack of time. I have found a groove in my life that has given me some much appreciated quality time at home. That seriously cuts into my blogging, especially since I don’t generally think about the internet unless I am in the process of utilizing it.

I promised to tell you all about my experimental “monthly” grocery shopping trip. I ended up purchasing 90% of what I required for the meals I will make at ALDI. If you have one of these near you- really take advantage of it. Yes, you have to bring a quarter for your cart (you get it back when you lock it back in) and you must bring your own bags (we’re green anyway, right?) but the prices are unbeatable! Not only that, but items that I generally would head to Trader Joe’s for appeared in the freezer section this time around! How about that? The rest (mostly lunchmeat and other deli items I DON’T recommend buying at ALDI) I purchased at Pick ‘n’ Save. I don’t know if they are regional or not, but it is the Wisconsin equivalent to Kroger.

All in all I have purchased all the food I will need for the entire month of February for a total of $96. $96(!!!) PEOPLE!! This whole experiment has already worked out far beyond what I had originally expected. Honestly, I believe that there is much more than one month’s worth of meals there. I think this could easily take me halfway into March. Granted, I am just feeding 2 people, but seriously. I used to spend $50 a week easily in my last “life” (the one with my former partner). It’s amazing how planning can cut down my most major cost- Food!

Once my life allows me the time, I will be sitting in front of the computer tallying the costs of each item into a spreadsheet. It’s my own personal project to help you (who am I kidding, it’s for me, too) know when a sale price grocery item is really a good deal or not. If anyone already has a spreadsheet devised, I would appreciate having a template that already exists. It would save me a ton of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment