Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May Grocery Shop


I have continued to use the monthly grocery shopping methods and continue to save on what our household normally has spent on groceries in the past. This is the 4th month that I have done this and we have stayed well under budget for all our groceries. Actually, it is technically my 3rd month because I had so many meals left over from the first 2 months, I didn't actually do a grocery shop in April- just bought persihables.

This month is no exception. I have, however, upped the ante on our meals. I can feel the boredom creeping in on our regular "go to" meals. Time for a change. I've been dabbling in making more items from scratch- like cookies and brownies- and reaching beyond my normal realm of "quick and easy" meals.



Lately I have been getting into things that are a little more involved. For instance, I have created some very delicious stuffed chicken breasts as well as homemade chicken parmesan and homemade baked onion rings. I'm pretty impressed with how it really doesn't take that much more time to do things this way- it just creates a TON more dishes to wash. Oh how I envy people with dishwashers right now.



Also, a quick thank you to Nathan, Roo's brother. He's recommended the cooking blog Smitten Kitchen. I love the Smitten Kitchen blog and have used her recipes to get Roo to eat foods that he normally would not. Who knew that all I had to do was throw a little 'crisp' on top of sliced apples, one if his least favorite fruits, to get him to eat them! Roo does top it with vanilla ice cream and cool whip, but I will still call it a victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment