Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Dukan Diet


If you are like me- like food, want to stay healthy and keep fit- then I am sure you have heard about the new diet that is about to make it's official debut in America. I've done my fair share of dieting- from Atkins to South Beach to Weight Watchers, etc. And that's just naming a few. Never have I been able to keep the weight off as I have by just MOVING my body everyday. I never in my wildest dieting dreams (NEVER EVER) thought that I would be living in the body I am right now. I have met and exceeded all the goals I had originally set in place. Now I aim higher- see post about Jennifer Aniston's abs. :) I eat pizza, I eat pasta, I eat ice cream. I can't even tell you that I do it in moderation- cuz I don't. Exercise every day has made a difference in my life. Anyway, I will get off my soapbox now. Lets talk Dukan.

The Dukan Diet is a French-based weight-loss plan created by Dr. Pierre Dukan. The diet's plan is for you to eat meals high in protein in a four-cycled program.


As the Dukan Diet has gotten more popular (celebs such as Kate Middleton, Gisele Bundchen and Jennifer Lopez have been linked to the diet) is has been criticized for being another 'fad diet' and one that could be dangerous because of how strict the guidelines are.

The Dukan Diet is comprised of four phases (four cycles are: Attack, Weight Loss, Stabilization and Cruise) that cycle the kinds of protein and carbs you eat. The reason for this cycling is to get your body to burn your existing fat.

You could expect to lose about 3 to 5 pounds a week on the Dukan Diet.


As for what you can eat, it does allow for a few starchy carbs as long as they are low glycemic vegetables like lettuce, spinach, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes and broccoli. Plus, oat bran should be consumed each day (i.e. there's how you get your fiber) and you just need to see which phase you are in to see how much you need to eat.


Like many programs, there is a Dukan Diet book and website where you can purchase all the info on what the diets is and how to follow it.

What's To Like...you will lose weight if you follow the diet, it could help to jump-start your metabolism and I like how they give you a daily exercise plan.

Concerns...the strict eating phases will, most likely, cause you to gain weight right back after you stop the diet. It could be dangerous for some with medical and health conditions. If you are considering trying the Dukan Diet, please talk to your medical professional. We all need to be safe about how we diet.

Overall, the Dukan Diet is another high protein weight loss plan that cycles you back and forth between a protein-based diet that allows for certain kinds, quantities and frequencies of carbohydrates. Yes, we've seen this before.

Thanks to it's celeb connections, it's getting a lot of attention. In my opinion, there are way better alternatives- like physical movement. This diet is not a "lifestyle" diet where you can continue to eat a certain way and lose weight. I would say this diet it good for someone who wants to lose weight quickly but I have concerns about eating high-protein diets and the affect on the body long-term.

1 comment:

  1. Best buy ever! I am 71 and had low expectations of losing the unwanted pounds. Within 6 weeks I had lost 20 pounds and as promised in the book, the weight has stayed off. The book is concise and easy to understand with no measuring or weighing. Just plenty to eat. Have recommended it to my friends who are amazed at my new healthy shape. You are never too old to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete